NYMPSFIELD LONG BARROW
1. Nympsfield Long Barrow
NYMPSFIELD LONG BARROW, GLOUCS
Overlooking the Severn Valley this chambered long barrow was restored during excavations in 1974 when its condition had deteriorated to an almost unsalvageable point. Most of the mound, which initially measured 90’ in length by 60’ in width, and all of the passageway’s roof stones are missing, leaving it exposed to the elements. Also excavated in 1862 and 1937, archaeological discoveries have included up to 30 burials, neolithic pottery and a leaf-shaped arrowhead akin to that found at Adam’s Grave in Wiltshire.
OS: SO.794.013 To the west of the B4066 at Coaley Peak, between Uley and Stroud in Gloucestershire, and just up the road from Hetty Pegler's Tump.